Keep Your Children Safe in Their New Environment
- EDUCATE YOUR CHILDREN – Encourage your children to memorize their new address and phone number prior to the move. Visit their new school the day before their first day to familiarize them.
- BECOME FAMILIAR WITH THE AREA – Familiarize your children with surrounding streets, stores, parks, playgrounds, etc. Walk through the neighborhood to show them acceptable routes they are allowed to travel.
Discourage your children from taking shortcuts.
- MEET THE NEIGHBORS – Introduce yourself and your kids to the new neighbors.
- ESTABLISH AN EMERGENCY PLAN – Create a list of emergency phone numbers and place in a designated area. Designate two other people to contact for help if your children cannot contact you.
- “HOME ALONE” RULES – Your kids should never open the door for someone you don’t know, whether or not you are home. They should make sure that all doors and windows remain locked.
- REINFORCE THE RULES